Managing the Affairs of Elderly or Vulnerable Relatives

Families with elderly or vulnerable relatives will often need to assist with or sometimes even take control of that relative’s property and financial affairs.

The easiest way to organise this is for lasting powers of attorney to be made by the person who may need help. This has to be done when they still have mental capacity.  We often see clients with an elderly relative who is already suffering to dementia to such an extent that they are no longer able to make a lasting power of attorney yet have financial assets that need to be managed.  What then?

It is still possible to resolve the situation with an application to the Court of Protection for an appropriate person to be appointed a deputy to manage property and financial affairs.

The Private Client Department at Emery Johnson Astills can assist with the preparation of Lasting Powers of Attorney and applications to the Court of Protection for Deputyship Orders.  If you have an enquiry please contact Jane Hinds