Family Solicitors Leicestershire
Celebrating Civil Partnerships
You don’t need your Emery Johnson Astills family solicitor to celebrate your relationship: you can form a Civil Partnership with your same sex partner at a register office, or other approved premises, fifteen days after giving notice to the Registrar.
However, under the Civil Partnership Act 2004, couples who form a civil partnership now have the legal status of civil partner and enjoy equal treatment with married couples in a wide range of legal matters.
- tax, including inheritance tax, status
- employment benefits
- state and occupational pension benefits
- income related benefits, tax credits and child support
- duty to provide reasonable maintenance for any children of the family
- ability to apply for parental responsibility for your civil partners child
- inheritance of a tenancy agreement
- recognition under intestacy rules
- access to fatal accidents compensation protection from domestic abuse
- recognition for immigration and nationality purposes
So you may wish to consider drawing up an agreement similar to a Pre-Nuptial Agreement. And, if you’re thinking of starting a family, your Emery Johnson Astills family solicitor can support you during the adoption or donor aided conception process. Find out more about